Now Playing
X102.9
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
X102.9

news

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

White House accepting applications for Fall 2017 internship program

The White House is accepting applications for it's 2017 internship program. That application period is open through June 16 until 11:59 p.m. The internship would be from September 6 to December 8.    Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate college students are encourage to apply.    Recent college graduates are also eligible with having graduated from a college, community college, or university no more than two years before the start date of the internship (Sept. 6).    Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who have a high school diploma and have served on active duty during the two years before the internship start date (Sept. 6).    The White House Internship Program is highly competitive.     Applicants are selected based on their demonstrated commitment to public service, leadership in the community, and commitment to the Trump Administration.     Questions about the White House Internship Program application can be directed to intern_application@who.eop.gov.   More information, including details about placement in the White House Internship Program and frequently asked questions can be found on the White House website.     

Deadly Manchester blast after Ariana Grande concert: 5 things to know

A deadly blast after an Ariana Grande concert Monday night at England's Manchester Arena has killed at least 22 people and injured 59 others, police said.

Here's what we know so far: 

>> Police: At least 22 dead after explosion near Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

1. The explosion happened after Grande had left the stage and concertgoers were leaving. Witnesses reported hearing the explosion near the exit about 10:30 p.m. local time, The Associated Press reported.

“A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone, and we were all trying to flee the arena,” Majid Khan, 22, told the AP. “It was one bang, and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”

2. Police believe that the incident was a terrorist attack conducted by a male suicide bomber. Fox News reported that the man, who died at the scene, "detonated an improvised explosive device," according to authorities. Police are investigating whether the man had any accomplices, the AP reported.

>> PHOTOS: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

3. Children were among the dead, police said. Meanwhile, families were searching for loved ones who attended the concert.

>> Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

4. Grande said she was "broken" over the news. "From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words," tweeted the pop star, who was not hurt in the incident.

>> See the tweet here

>> Ariana Grande says she's 'broken' over deadly explosion after Manchester concert

Her manager, Scooter Braun, also issued a statement.

"Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack," he wrote.

>> Read more trending news

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers."

>> See the post here

5. President Donald Trump called those behind the attack "losers."

"So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life,” Trump said Tuesday in Bethlehem. “I won’t call (the attackers) monsters, because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them, from now on, losers because that’s what they are, they’re losers.”

>> Watch his remarks here

British Prime Minister Theresa May called the apparent attack “the worst ever to hit the north of England.”

“It is now beyond doubt the people of Manchester have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack,” she said.

She added that authorities know the name of the suspected perpetrator but will not reveal his identity yet.

Fentanyl disguised as OxyContin in drug bust

A November traffic stop on Interstate 77 in North Carolina's Iredell County turned into a drug bust.

>> Watch the news report here

That drug bust was considered the biggest OxyContin bust in the county’s history.

But WSOC-TV anchor Allison Latos has learned that the drugs seized in the bust turned out to be fentanyl, which is up to 100 times more powerful than heroin.

Thousands of pills were packed into a paint can with a false bottom.

Iredell County Sheriff Darren Campbell said he is shocked that 5,000 pills were disguised as OxyContin but were actually fentanyl.

“Bad guys don't want other bad guys to know what they have, so that's why they disguise their products,” Campbell said.

>> Read more trending news

Deputies arrested Anthony Prettyman and Corey Laurenson, of Elmira, New York.

Weny Elmira Narcotics helped feds break up a large drug ring there, where police raided homes and arrested four men accused of dealing tens of thousands of pills.

“To have a sort of relatively rural smaller city, such as Elmira, be a source location for drugs was something we hadn't seen very frequently,” said U.S. Attorney James Kennedy Jr.

Police are still investigating if the ring is to blame for several overdoses in New York, but Campbell is grateful deputies stopped the pills from being sold here.

“Over 5,000 pills taken off the street and who knows what that could have led to and how many countless lives it saved,” Campbell said.

The sheriff said the pills were headed for Charlotte, a distribution city for the East Coast.

Fentanyl is so powerful, had deputies touched those pills, they could have become ill.

Deputies take precautions and wear gloves during drug investigations.

Last week, officers in Rock Hill were on heightened alert because an officer in Ohio went to the hospital after he brushed fentanyl off his uniform.

Rock Hill police said every officer has a kit with a mask, gown and gloves

Ariana Grande says she's 'broken' over deadly explosion after Manchester concert

Ariana Grande took to social media Monday night to express her sorrow over a deadly explosion that killed at least 22 people – including children – and injured 59 after her concert at England's Manchester Arena.

>> Police: At least 19 dead after explosion near Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

"Broken," tweeted the pop star, who was not hurt in the incident. "From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words."

>> See the tweet here

Her manager, Scooter Braun, also issued a statement.

>> PHOTOS: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

"Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack," he wrote.

>> Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers."

>> See the post here

According to The Associated Press, the blast, which occurred about 10:30 p.m. after Grande's show, is believed to be a terrorist attack carried out by a male suicide bomber, police said early Tuesday. 

>> Read more trending news

Read more here.

Awning falls on car during storms on Jacksonville's Northside

Storms are being blamed for causing an awning to crash on top of a car that was parked at a gas station on Jacksonville's Northside.

"Walked outside and boom," car owner Cryshan Muhammad said.

Muhammad said her son was inside paying for gas while his car was parked at the pump and when he walked outside, he saw the awning on top of his car. 

LOCAL NEWS: Man killed, woman seriously hurt in Amelia Island crash

"He could have been squished as well, so it's a blessing," Muhammad said.

Surveillance video showed the moment that strong winds caused the awning to collapse onto the car.

"The rain and the wind were really high when that thing fell. It was 'boom!' It was a scary sound," employee Berihu Bishu said.

Muhammad said that at first, she didn’t believe her son.

"He said, 'I can't believe it. It fell on the car,' and I said, 'I don't think so,'" Muhammad said.

Then she saw it for herself.

"I came out here and my mouth just dropped. I was, like, 'I can't believe this is happening,'" Muhammad said.

SEVERE WEATHER: Awning falls on car after reported lightning strike on Jacksonville's Northside

The windshield was shattered, passenger doors were crumbled and the car’s roof was caved in.

"This is overwhelming to me," Muhammad said.

She said her 5-year-old granddaughter is usually in the back seat of the now-crushed car.

"Thank God, her daddy took out the car seat and didn't take this car, so that was a blessing," Muhammad said.

A gas station clerk said they are working to get the area cleaned up so the pumps can be accessible again.

Officer on scene tells me lightning struck this awning causing it to fall & crush a car @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/iS2zOpV4MD— Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) May 22, 2017 Man says baby is usually with him & luckily the baby wasn't in the car @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/U8Frcae9Ny— Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) May 22, 2017 Awning covering pumps at the gas station collapsed during passing storms @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/6yo9zSi8HW— Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) May 22, 2017 Luckily no one was inside the car @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/KuwBQ8yzTK— Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) May 22, 2017

The First Alert Weather Team is continuing to track severe weather moving through Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia. This is a developing story. Refresh this page, follow @ActionNewsJax on Twitter and watch Action News Jax for updates

$292K in jewelry, coins taken from Ponte Vedra Beach home

Nearly $292,000 worth of jewelry and other items were stolen from a St. Johns County home.

The burglary reportedly happened Saturday in the Marsh Landing community.

This isn’t the first time the home has been burglarized.

According to a police report, the home was burglarized in 2016. Now, the home has been hit again, this time for hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of items.

LOCAL NEWS: Man killed, woman seriously hurt in Amelia Island crash

Diamond bracelets, earrings, necklaces and watches are just some of the things stolen from the Ponte Vedra Beach home.

The homeowner had left for about two hours. When he returned home, he found broken glass and a window unlocked.

Action News Jax crime & safety expert Ken Jefferson said, “It appears to be very methodical, very well-thought-out, planned.”

The homeowner checked the location in which he and his wife keep their valuables, but their safe was missing. We spoke about that with Jefferson, who is also a veteran of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

"The fact that they physically removed this safe … makes me think that it was targeted, number one. Number two, they had a good idea what was in it or that things of value were inside of the house,” Jefferson said.

SEVERE WEATHER: Awning falls on car after reported lightning strike on Jacksonville's Northside

Some of the more valuable items taken include gold coins valued at around $96,000, strands of pearls valued at around $55,000 and a pair of watches valued at around $45,000.

In July 2016, jewelry was stolen from the same home. This time, it was an entire safe taken. The homeowner believes because of how large and heavy the safe is, the home’s elevator was used to move it and get it to and out of the front door, which was unlocked when he got home.

A neighbor reported seeing a small, white delivery truck speeding through the neighborhood around the time of the burglary. In 2016, a neighbor remembered seeing a white SUV. These are a few potential clues for investigators as they try to figure out who targeted the home.

New rules limit how long Nassau County pet owners can leave animals tied up

Big changes for pet owners: On Monday night, the county passed an ordinance that limits how long people can leave their pets tied up.

New rules limit that time to no more than 12 hours over a 24-hour period. Previously, pet owners could leave their dogs tied up all day.

“I’m not happy about it at all,” said Candace Johnson, with Friends of Animals.

Dozens of animal lovers were upset after Monday night’s meeting. 

LOCAL NEWS: Man killed, woman seriously hurt in Amelia Island crash

“it’s very frustrating, I think it’s a setback,” said Dave Fashingbauer, animal advocate.

“It’s cruel, it’s inhumane, it’s dangerous and it’s unfair to the animal,” said Johnson.

They have been pushing for an ordinance to ban unattended tethering and were hoping the county would agree.

“We are going forward into the past,” Fashingbauer said.

The county agreed with animal control that animals could be chained up for no more than 12 hours within a 24-hour period, and if only you can see the animal to monitor it.

“This type of ordinance has failed repeatedly throughout Florida,” Fashingbauer said.

“Going from 24 hours tethering to zero tethering is a bit much,” said Tim Maguire, director of animal care and control.

SEVERE WEATHER: Awning falls on car after reported lightning strike on Jacksonville's Northside

While Maguire pushed for Monday night’s ordinance, he said he wants tethering to be banned, but not right away.

“It’s just a matter of moving slowly and doing it properly and causing the least amount of damage,” he said.

But in the meantime, animal advocates say they will keep fighting for change.

“We won’t give up on it,” Johnson said.

“I think we have to continue on, because there’s hundreds of dogs all over Nassau County that are tethered right now,” Fashingbauer said.

The county will take another look at the issue in three months. 

Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

Authorities continue  to sort out what happened Monday night when a man who police believe was a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device outside an arena in Manchester, England.

The explosion happened moments after the conclusion of a concert by pop star Ariana Grande.

At least 22 have been confirmed dead and 59 injured as of 2:30 a.m. ET Tuesday.

Here's what we know now about some of the victims:

Donald Trump reportedly asked NSA and director of national intelligence to undermine FBI’s investigation

President Donald Trump sought to have Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats and National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers publicly discredit the FBI’s investigation into Russian ties to his campaign by denying the existence of any evidence of collusion.

That’s according to current and former intelligence officials who spoke to The Washington Post.

On March 20, former FBI Director James Comey confirmed under oath to the House Intelligence Committee that there was an ongoing FBI investigation into ties between the Trump campaign and Russian interests.

>> Read more trending news

That, say intelligence officials, kicked off a series of attempts by Trump to have Coats and Rogers step forward to publicly undercut the investigation. Both believed the requests to be highly improper and did not cooperate, according to intelligence.

At least one of the conversations — with NSA Director Rogers — was documented in a memorandum retained by the NSA. The Washington Post reports that NSA officials are prepared to make it available to House and Senate committees investigating the issue as well as former FBI Director Robert Mueller’s investigation.

This news comes on the same day that former White House National Security Advisor Michael Flynn invoked his Fifth Amendment rights by refusing to provide documents requested by the Senate Intelligence Committee.

When reached for comment, a White House spokesperson told The Washington Post, “The White House does not confirm or deny unsubstantiated claims based on illegal leaks from anonymous individuals.”

Family: Woman arrested in Jacksonville brawl was confronted at work

The family of an 18-year old girl arrested and accused of hitting a girl with a bat said she was being bullied and only defended herself in the fight.

Police arrested 18-year-old Jontaianna Pitts on battery and criminal mischief charges.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office also arrested two more women, 24-year old Zakeria Johnson and 21-year old Ronetta Wright, for their involvement in the fight.

LOCAL NEWS: Man killed, woman seriously hurt in Amelia Island crash

“It has went too far. It has went too far,” said Tiara Hernandez.

Hernandez's niece Pitts was arrested after several people sent the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office now-viral videos of two large fights in Moncrief.

Hernandez says her niece was involved in both fights,

“My niece wasn’t out looking for trouble,” Hernandez said.

She said Pitts was defending herself after the girls came up to her niece’s job, threatening to beat her up.

She said those threats started the fight outside a beauty supply store in the Moncrief area. The video shows several women fighting outside the store. At one point, a security officer tried to stop the fight.

About an hour later, witnesses say that fight led to a second fight at a park just down the street. Police say it’s the same group of women, but that time, a bat was involved.

Police arrested Hernandez’s niece on battery and criminal mischief charges.

SEVERE WEATHER: Awning falls on car after reported lightning strike on Jacksonville's Northside

Action News Jax's Larry Spruill: "Your niece is now facing these charges. Is that fair in your mind?"

Hernandez:  "I don’t think it’s fair at all."

Someone with the same name as the security guard listed in the report, posted on Facebook, “I just don’t like the fact they’re trying to give her a felony charge for assaulting me, and she did no such thing.”

Hernandez said people are calling her sister, who is Pitts’ mother, a bad mother for fighting as well. She said that’s not the case at all. She was trying to break up the fight; that’s when she was hit. 

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >