Now Playing
X102.9
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
X102.9

entertainment

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Kansas City looks at taking over struggling jazz museum

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A jazz museum that's plagued by operating losses and bounced checks to musicians could be headed for a takeover by Kansas City.

City Council members Jermaine Reed and Scott Wagner introduced an ordinance Thursday that asks officials to study the transfer of the American Jazz Museum to the Parks and Recreation Department by next spring, The Kansas City Star reported .

The measure includes $225,000 to help the museum meet payroll.

The 20-year-old museum located in the historic 18th and Vine district currently operates in a city-owned building but under an independent board. The institution has been unable to raise the money necessary to stand on its own financially.

Wagner said the museum has already spent its annual city subsidy for the fiscal year that ends next April.

Reed sent a letter this week to city and museum officials outlining a proposal to move the museum, the Blue Room jazz club and the Gem Theater to the Parks Department. He said the city has an obligation to safeguard its assets.

"It is clear business as usual will not suffice," Reed said. "The Board of Parks and Recreation Commissioners has a long history of full collaboration with neighborhood groups and business leaders in managing certain city-owned assets and tourist sites such as the Kansas City Zoo, the Liberty Memorial, Starlight Theatre and the Kansas City Museum."

The museum's financial difficulties became apparent earlier this year when performers from a May jazz festival realized their checks from the museum had bounced. The performers were owed $150,000 at one point.

"They have issues of sustainability and economy. It can't be ignored anymore," Wagner said.

City Manager Troy Schulte said there are no legal obstacles to a city takeover of the museum.

___

Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com

The top 10 songs and albums on the iTunes Store

iTunes Official Music Charts for the week ending October 19, 2017:

Top Songs

1. Thunder, Imagine Dragons

2. rockstar (feat. 21 Savage), Post Malone

3. Perfect, Ed Sheeran

4. What About Us, P!nk

5. Feel It Still, Portugal. The Man

6. Havana (feat. Young Thug), Camila Cabello

7. Bodak Yellow, Cardi B

8. Sorry Not Sorry, Demi Lovato

9. Too Good at Goodbyes, Sam Smith

10. Every Little Thing, Carly Pearce

Top Albums

1. Beautiful Trauma, P!nk

2. Colors, Beck

3. Mr. Davis, Gucci Mane

4. Southern Girl City Lights, Jessie James Decker

5. The Saga Continues, Wu-Tang

6. SWIM TEAM, Dirty Heads

7. MASSEDUCTION, St. Vincent

8. Yours, Russell Dickerson

9. Greatest Hits, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

10. Evolve, Imagine Dragons

__

(copyright) 2017 Apple Inc.

Jason Aldean releases 'I Won't Back Down' for charity

NEW YORK (AP) — Jason Aldean's moving rendition of "I Won't Back Down" on "Saturday Night Live" will soon be raising money to help victims of the Las Vegas shooting.

The song was made available on Friday on various sites. Aldean's representative says all proceeds will be donated to the Direct Impact Fund dedicated to victims of the tragedy.

Aldean was performing at the Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 2 when a gunman fired on the crowd a hotel room, killing 58 people. Hundreds more were injured.

The country star made his first public performance on "SNL" five days later and sang the Tom Petty song. It was in part a tribute to the late rocker, who died that week, but also a show of resiliency in the face of tragedy.

Ex-prosecutor to sue Cosby accuser, alleging personal injury

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A former district attorney who declined to press sexual-assault charges against Bill Cosby in 2005 has filed the beginnings of a lawsuit against Cosby's accuser in Philadelphia.

An attorney for Bruce L. Castor says the personal-injury complaint will claim Andrea Constand sued Castor for defamation in 2015 so he would lose the prosecutor's race. The winner, Kevin Steele, had criticized Castor's handling of the Cosby case.

Castor's lawyer James Beasley Jr. tells The Philadelphia Inquirer paperwork filed earlier this month will lead to a lawsuit seeking more than $50,000 in damages.

A lawyer representing Constand's attorneys says the potential lawsuit sounds "legally deficient."

Cosby is charged with knocking out Constand with pills and sexually assaulting her at his home near Philadelphia in 2004. He says the encounter was consensual.

Norman Rockwell's 3 sons seek to halt sale of his artworks

BOSTON (AP) — Norman Rockwell's three sons were among several people who went to court on Friday seeking to halt a museum's plans to sell 40 works of art, including two by him.

A complaint seeking a temporary restraining order filed in Berkshire Superior Court alleges the board of trustees at the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield contracted with Sotheby's for a public auction of the works before it announced its plans publicly, acted in breach of its fiduciary duties and trust and acted without legal authority to sell the art.

The planned sale is against Massachusetts laws establishing the museum, which requires the museum to maintain any gifts it receives "for the people of Berkshire County and the general public," the complaint says.

"Once sold, it is highly unlikely that any of the pieces will remain in Berkshire County or in a public institution where they can be seen and enjoyed," the complaint says.

Besides Thomas, Jarvis and Peter Rockwell, the plaintiffs include two local artists and several members of the museum. They are represented by the Boston law firm Foley Hoag LLP.

The museum has consistently stood by its decision to sell the art.

"We believe we have strong legal grounds for our deaccessioning and we are confident in our new vision plan which will allow this important local museum to continue to contribute to the educational and cultural life of this region for another century," trustees president Elizabeth McGraw said in a statement on Friday.

The museum came under intense national and local criticism after it announced in July that is was auctioning the art.

The American Alliance of Museums and the Association of Art Museum Directors said in a joint statement that the sale violated a sacred museum rule that collections are not to be sold to pay bills.

The works for sale include Rockwell's "Shaftsbury Blacksmith Shop" and "Shuffleton's Barbershop," both of which the illustrator gave as gifts to the museum when he lived in nearby Stockbridge. Works by Alexander Calder, Albert Bierstadt and George Henry Durrie also are on the auction block.

Museum trustees and officials say the museum is in dire financial straits and may close for good if it doesn't sell the works. They say it is hoped that the sale will raise as much as $60 million, which will be used to boost the endowment by $40 million, with the other $20 million being used to renovate the museum as it changes its mission to focus more on natural history and science.

The complaint says the museum's financial troubles are greatly exaggerated.

Selena to receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star on Nov. 3

On the heels of a popular Google Doodle this week honoring Selena Quintanilla Pérez, the pop culture icon will now posthumously receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Nov. 3.

>> Read more trending news

“Before there was JLo, Shakira or Beyoncé, there was a transformative female artist called Selena,” said Otto Padron, president of Meruelo Media and sponsor of the tribute, in a statement. “Selena is one of the most influential music icons of the 20th century. Her music, style and smile are timeless, and now her star will grace (Hollywood, California) forever.”

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce last summer selected to honor Selena in its recording category, along with other performers including John Legend, Clarence Avant, Ice Cube, a posthumous honor for Jerry Goldsmith, Hall & Oates, *NSYNC and New Edition.

On Selena’s Facebook fan page, music lovers expressed a similar sentiment that the honor was long overdue.

“A dream come true,” wrote fan Hadeer Sinawe. “She deserved this even before her death.”

Texas native Eva Longoria will join Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to proclaim Nov. 3 as official “Selena” Day in Los Angeles.

On March 31, 1995, Selena’s former fan club president Yolanda Saldivar fatally shot Selena at a Days Inn motel in Corpus Christi. But for many fans of the Tejano superstar, who was on the brink of crossing over to the English-language music market, Selena’s legacy lives on.

In honor of her Walk of Fame addition, check out our playlist of Selena songs:

Trump drawing of Empire State Building sells for $16,000

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A sketch of the Empire State Building drawn by President Donald Trump has sold at auction for $16,000.

Julien's Auctions says the 12-inch-by-9-inch black marker depiction of the iconic New York City skyscraper was created by Trump for a charity auction in Florida during the time he opened his Mar-a-Lago estate as a private club in 1995.

Julien's says the piece signed by Trump went for less than $100 the first time it was sold. It was estimated to go for $8,000 to $12,000 at the auction that took place in Los Angeles and online Thursday.

The buyer has not been named.

The auction house says a portion of the proceeds of the sale are going to benefit WHDD-FM, a National Public Radio station in Connecticut.

Fox News duped by phony military hero, removes false story

NEW YORK (AP) — Fox News Channel has removed a false story from its website, saying it was duped by an artist the network highlighted as a Vietnam veteran, a member of the first U.S. Navy SEAL team and a much-decorated war hero.

The report, which aired Oct. 8, focused on 72-year-old glass artist John Garofalo, who "despite health issues" emerged from semi-retirement to create a four-foot-high, 150-pound glass-and-bronze presidential seal he said he hoped to present to President Donald Trump.

The report — captioned "Decorated War Hero Hopes to Honor Trump With Glass Presidential Seal" — included numerous details of Garofalo's alleged military past.

"Unfortunately, all of Garofalo's claims turned out to be untrue," Fox News said in a statement issued Thursday. "The fact is that he did not serve in Vietnam. He was never a U.S. Navy SEAL. Even though he showed us medals, Garofalo was not awarded two Purple Hearts or any of the other nearly two dozen commendations he claimed to have received, except for the National Defense Service Medal."

The story, by Fox News correspondent Bryan Llenas, displayed Garofalo's work in progress which it described as a tribute to his hero, Trump, who "woke something up in me," Garofalo said. "I have hope for him and I have hope for the country."

Host Eric Shawn closed the story by saying, "God bless John Garofalo. We certainly hope the president is listening."

In the network's lengthy statement, which it characterized as a correction, not a retraction, Fox News said, "It is true that Garofalo is a glass artist and a veteran. He served in Spain and he gifted two presidential seals to Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

"Over the last two weeks, we've worked with Garofalo's family and the National Personnel Records Center to get to the bottom of a military past that Garofalo had claimed to be covert. We apologize to our viewers, especially veterans and servicemen and women," Fox News said in its statement.

Along with the statement posted on its website, the network said it planned to offer an on-air correction Friday.

The Latest: Lawyer says actress accusing Weinstein is scared

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on sexual harassment and abuse allegations against Harvey Weinstein (all times local):

1:30 p.m.

The Los Angeles lawyer for an Italian actress who has accused Harvey Weinstein of rape says it has had a "humongous impact on her life" and she is extremely scared.

Attorney David M. Ring told reporters Friday that his client met Weinstein briefly at the L.A. Italia film festival in 2013 and he bullied his way into her hotel room.

Ring says that she gave Los Angeles police detectives a description of sexual assault and rape.

The attorney says the actress has had no interaction with Weinstein since then.

Weinstein's representative has denied the Oscar-winner had non-consensual sex with any woman.

___

12:05 p.m.

A former television and stage actress says Harvey Weinstein ruined her career ambition after he exposed himself to her during a meeting in 1989.

Speaking at a Friday press conference with attorney Gloria Allred, Heather Kerr said that she been working in the office of an entertainment business manager and sometimes answered the phones. Weinstein was a frequent caller and at one point he suggested they meet at an office in Westwood. After she arrived, he told her to sit on the couch, sat next to her and kept telling her she needed to be "good" if she wanted to succeed. He then pulled down his zipper and exposed himself.

Kerr says she backed away from him, left the room and hurried out of the building. After some theater work, she quit acting. "I felt so powerless," she tearfully recalled. Her acting credits in the 1980s include the TV shows "The Facts of Life" and "Mama's Family."

Weinstein is facing criminal charges in three cities after allegations of rape and sexual assault.

___

10:10 a.m.

The Television Academy says it has voted to begin disciplinary proceedings against disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein.

The academy's board of governors issued a statement Friday declaring that "sexual harassment in any form is abhorrent and totally unacceptable."

The academy, which bestows the Emmy awards, said a hearing has been set for November to consider "action up to and including termination of academy membership."

Weinstein has recently been accused of multiple acts of sexual harassment and assault spanning decades. He has been fired from The Weinstein Co., a TV and movie film production company he co-founded with his brother Bob. He already has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Producers Guild and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

___

5:30 a.m.

A group of staffers for the company co-founded by Harvey Weinstein have spoken out about the allegations of decades of sexual conduct against the media mogul by signing a letter stating they didn't know they were "working for a serial sexual predator."

The anonymous letter signed simply by "Select Members of The Weinstein Company Staff" was published online by The New Yorker on Thursday. In a separate story, the magazine says the letter was penned by about 30 Weinstein employees.

The employees say they knew of Weinstein's "infamous temper" and that he could be "manipulative," but didn't know "that he used his power to systematically assault and silence women."

Representatives for Weinstein and The Weinstein Company didn't immediately return a request for comment Friday.

___

3 a.m.

An attorney says he will detail allegations by an Italian actress and model who has told police disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein raped her in a Los Angeles hotel room in 2013.

David M. Ring is expected to address reporters outside a downtown Los Angeles courthouse on Friday afternoon. A news release announcing the press conference confirms several details included a Los Angeles Times report about the police investigation, including that the woman spoke to detectives in an interview on Thursday.

Police have confirmed they are investigating but have not released any further details.

The woman was not named in the Times story or the announcement of Ring's press conference.

Weinstein's representative has denied the Oscar-winner had non-consensual sex with any woman.

TV Academy votes to consider expelling Harvey Weinstein

NEW YORK (AP) — The Television Academy says it has voted to begin disciplinary proceedings against disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein.

The academy's board of governors issued a statement Friday declaring that "sexual harassment in any form is abhorrent and totally unacceptable."

The academy, which bestows the Emmy awards, said a hearing has been set for November to consider "action up to and including termination of academy membership."

Weinstein has recently been accused of multiple acts of sexual harassment and assault spanning decades. He has been fired from The Weinstein Co., a TV and movie film production company he co-founded with his brother Bob. He already has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Producers Guild and the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >